Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Jan 10, 2010

...just a little tutorial.... Watercoloring!

Please be sure to scroll down on the page to visit my other posts today. I have the finished project my "Beloved Box" as well as a new challenge with blog candy being offered!

Watercolor Tutorial

So, at long last, here is my video tutorial for watercoloring. I do hope that its helpful to anyone that hasn't tried the technique before, or for anyone that's new to the technique. It is super important to use a waterproof ink, as well as watercolor paper.

My ink choice is Brilliance. Stazon would work, but it doesn't work well with acrylic stamps. And watercolor paper allows the reinker to blend so nicely! Regular paper will pill up and create holes where you've used too much water! My brush of choice is a Niji waterbrush.

This morning I woke with a scary thought... did I repeat myself enough times that you must walk away from the project and let it sit in between each "layer" of ink? I'm not sure if that point came across enough in the editing. While the project looks QUICK here, I was making this in stages (alternating with making my dinnner). If you don't wait between steps, your inks will bleed across the wet paper. Just make sure you give each layer proper drying time before moving on!!

I've written a separate post with the details on my "Beloved Box" which you'll find just below! I'm now off to post a challenge with some Pure Innocence Blog candy! Be sure to check this post!

If it is easier for you, this video is also available on YouTube here (the version on YouTube will be larger and easier to see! )

Please note: If you have any questions, be sure to add them to my C-Box on the right hand sidebar! I'm happy to help!

21 Comments    Post a Comment:

Terri Trotter Earley said...

Hi Joanne! I tried to watch your video over at utube so I could see a bigger version and it said it was private. Thanks for all of your hard work! Also, what water color paper do you use?

It's a good life!
Terri E.

jen said...

I watched the tiny version too, but it was still great! :) I love the little details- and the project is WONDERFUL!
Have a great night!

Unknown said...

Yikes! Terri, thanks for the heads up! I just went over to YouTube to upload it again, I have no idea how it got marked private.. Thank you!

Kerry said...

Hi Joanne,
I have been following your blog now for the past couple of months and think your cards are just gorgeous! I have just bought a couple of the Pure Innocence images since I saw your lovelly art work and can't wait to receive them. Thankyou for the watercolouring tutorial. I might give it a go as the finished result is lovely.

Bren said...

Thank you Joanne, that was a nice tutorial. Water color is my favorite type of coloring so that was nice to see how you blend your colors.

Lisa H. said...

this is FABulous! you've totally inspired me to get out my watercoloring supplies and put away my copics for a while. LOVE it! thanks for taking the time!

Tina said...

I found your blog a couple of months ago and love your style! I watercolour pretty much the same way and was a pleasure to watch your video.

Gretchen said...

Wow Joanne! So very helpful utorial and what a great little project!

Jana Weaver said...

great video Joanne! The project is adorable, and your instructions came across very clear!

Kim said...

That is AWESOME Jo!!!! I LOVE it!

Carolyn King said...

Joanne--you did a fantastic job on your tutorial. So fun to see you at work! LOVe your precious box!

MizMaryAnn said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I just have to watch it about 100 more times and then I'll be brave enough to try water coloring! Great job on the video. Very easy to watch.

Bonnie Lynn said...

Great job Joannne. I haven't watercolored in a long time. You just reminded me about this technique.

Angela said...

Great tutorial; thank you!

Kerry Johnson said...

Finally got a chance to sit down in the quiet and watch/study your video!! Amazing job my friend! My daughter enjoyed it too!! Thanks for the work you put in - you're awesome!

Shemaine Smith said...

I loved your tutorial. I've never tried water coloring with ink just pencils so I am gonna give it a try :)

veronica said...

thank you for the Brilliance ink tip. i love my aquapen, and use it alot. but i can't get stazon to work with the clear stamps, and my Memento sometimes bleeds, and sometimes doesn't. don't know what is up with that. i will have to try Brilliance. and i am loving the Pure Innocence stamps. they are so cute. i can't wait until mine are delivered.

Vina said...

Hi, thank you soo much for making & sharing your watercolor video with us! Your coloring is gorgeous & I love the little girl image..I think I "need" to get her!
Take care

Jocelyn aka JoBear2 on my SCS Gallery said...

Great tutorial thanks. Plenty of detail and easy to follow.

Michelle said...

fantastic tutorial! TFS!
michelle

Purrbal said...

Wonderful, thank you so much for sharing!

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover