Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Oct 13, 2009

Buttony Bow Tutorial

If you've been over to Blogabella you may have seen the news that this week's challenge from Stamping Bella is Floral/Nature. The great news is that you have until NEXT Thursday the 22nd to submit your sample (Emily has a few tradeshows this week and next!)

I had fun playing with my Ketto's Pot O Flowers with that challenge in mind... I'll have a new flowery creation for you next Friday!

After coloring my image, I went back and added my black glaze pen to each of the polka dots on the pot for a little extra "oomph."

This is the card that I used to put together a little bow tying tutorial. I get lots of questions about my Buttony Bows, so I thought I'd try to show you exactly what my process is.

My first hint is a nice firm ribbon that will keep shape, and my second hint is to use a LOT of it. Being stingy with the ribbon will make it super hard to tie, and come on, we all hoard the stuff, what good does it do you on the shelf, put that goodness to USE!

So, is official, you all can laugh at me, and how much ribbon and twine I use on my cards. (Note to self, I'm running low on twine! Yikes!)

My husband was teasing me about making this, because he says its just like tying a shoe. However, I will say, he was SO helpful being my camera man, and then showing me how iMovie works (uuum, amazing love it!)

I'm known to fuss and fuddle with these a lot to get them to look all floofy and "just right." But on the video I show you how I fiddle with them to get them exactly how I like them.

Its strange listening to your own voice and all, but I hope this is helpful to you all.
Please let me know what you think, and remember while I might be good at bows....I'm new to video. *giggle*

I'll get working on another fun thing I like to do with ribbon, a faux bow.

I've also uploaded to You Tube if that is easier for you. You can find it HERE.

Now, I'm running and hiding because I'm embarrassed. Be kind, okay?

49 Comments    Post a Comment:

Sara Henton said...

OH NO!! You can't run out of twine. It's like that for me & now the Kraft paper

Unknown said...

Yay! thanks for the video tutorial! I'm going to try it right now. (Your husband can laugh now. :)

Ruth said...

Thanks very much for sharing this..I'm off to try some.Thanks to hubbie too for his part! The finished cards and bows always look fantastic,Ruth x

Kirsty @ Quirky Card Designs said...

Great Tutorial!

It's soooo much easier to follow than a picture tutorial.
What gorgeous results!

Thanks!

Kerry Johnson said...

I don't know why you're embarrassed - it's fabulous!! Thanks so much!!

Cat Tidwell said...

I agree, you have no reason to be embarrassed...your first one? It's fantastic and thank you for sharing! LOVE your bows! And our DH's just dont get it, but they do get me tickled in their way of thinking of our stuffs, rofl.

Abi said...

Excellent tutorial. Great teamwork (for the cameraman!!) Nice to finally hear your voice, I've followed your blog in reader for a long time and get lots of inspiration from you. Thanks

Megan said...

I know how you feel! I just loved your video. You sound just like I thought you would!! Next time, I want to see your pretty face, too.

Basement Stamper said...

Great Bow tutorial. Definitely going to practice that technique and see if my bows start looking a little better.

Whimsey said...

GREAT video; you did a fabulous job.

renee' said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to record such an awesome tutorial and for sharing your technique... I can honestly say your bows are the best I've seen and can't wait to try it myself!

Tina said...

WooHoo!! THANK YOU!!! I wanted to see that! LOL Now honestly... I did try one. Though it was NOT as impressive as yours! LOL It's on my blog under.. the DT Call article, I believe. Tell me what I did wrong!! LOL LOVE it though. Where do you get your twin? SU?

Ted Basile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ted Basile said...

All,
I thoroughly enjoyed helping Joanne with her Buttony Bow Tutorial. Please tune in again as we tackle other areas, such as:

1) Velcro: It’s not as easy as it looks.
2) ATMs: Do those new Bank of America machines leave you bewildered?
3) Gas Stations: Using those self-service stations can be perplexing!
4) Toilet paper dispenser: Looks simple but, it’s not. There’s a reason why 9 out 10 never get refilled.

Kind regards,
-Ted (Joanne’s sarcastic husband)

PS: This is a joke and I’m just teasing Joanne. I will not be following her around town to film these topics. 

Jaymerz said...

Joanne you are adorable, I loved the tutorial, and your hubby cracks me up. I am now expecting the tutorial on how to fill the tp dispenser so I can show it to my entire family!!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial! It was very helpful and you sounded professional! Thanks :)

Unknown said...

LOL at your husband's comment! Ditto about you being adorable. Your husband sounds like a keeper! :)

Michele Kovack said...

Love your cute card! Off to listen to your tutorial!

LindaH said...

I think you are a doll and I ADORE your bows!

Marci said...

Thanks for the video tutorial! It was great and very helpful! Hope to see more in the future. Thanks for sharing your creations with us on a daily basis! You're a great source of inspiration!

Dawn Easton said...

Awesome, girl! Love this!

Linda said...

Hello

I like you blog... cute cards on there can't wait to see more. and get know you better.

Karen Motz said...

Fabulous card and I love your video!!! Well done my friend!!!

Madeleine said...

Thank you so much for this. I have looked at your work, and think it is amasing... I love your cards...

Gina F said...

Love it !! Thanks for your video, awesome!...gina

Bethany Paull said...

Thanks! Love your buttony bow. And I always love hearing people. You get to "know" them just a little bit better. Fun!

Lisa said...

Wonderful instructions! Easy to see and understand too! Thanks for sharing! I just did my first tutorial too but I chickened out and just did photos hehe. I'm anxious to try these!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tutorial! Looks great!

Paula Phillips said...

Awesome tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Nancy L. said...

great video!! thanks for the tips!

Leslie said...

Ah, the secret has been revealed! Thanks so much...I'm off to practice! PS: Your hubby is funny and I'm really looking forward to his video on toilet paper :)

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

Your video is great - I will have to give it a try, especially because I today my PTI goodies arrived, including twine, along with a few buttons :>)!! If you run out of twine start heading south on the tpke and I will meet you at the MA border!
Smiles from CT

JoAnn said...

I think your bows with the button is adorable. I just found out about the candy but I'm getting started on my card. I will be useing that more often, I truly liked it. Thanks. You did a good job with your video. Your husband sounds like he would be fun to be around. The kind that likes to keep people laughing. See ya soon. I've got a card to work on.

Wanda Cullen said...

This was definitely a helpful tutorial...thanks for taking the time to share it!!

Lisa Phillippi llelsik@aol.com said...

That is a great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing it ~ I know it takes a lot of time & effort to put something like that together~ I appreciate it!

Bonnie Lynn said...

Ok, Joanne, first, don't be embarassed. Second, that tutorial is fantastic!!! Now I get it!!!! Just got to make my hands cooperate with my ribbon.

Linda Callahan said...

Absolutely wonderful instructions - I am off to practice - thanks so much!

Betty Meyskens said...

Great tutorial - you made it look so easy. I am going to go and try it out now. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Jane, at Thepaperaffair said...

It's a great tutorial, stop running!!! I love the bow, thanks from all of us that are challenged with this.

Jess Willison said...

Thanks you so much for this tutorial! It is amazing! Can't wait to make some bows!

Angel said...

THanks for a great tutorial!!!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

I need smelling salts -- so much ribbon used on one card!!! *breathing deeply* But maybe that's why your bows look so much better than mine? Hmmm... So good to hear your sweet voice, my friend. You sound just like yourself (that's a good thing!)! :)

LindaL said...

You should not be at all embarassed...that was fantastic and sounded so natural...well done! Love your buttony bows:))

Reshma said...

You sure have a passion for bow!! your a pro!! Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

Hi Joanne,

Thank you so much for sharing!!! :) Your bows are BEAUTIFUL!

Please don't think I'm crazy, but I'm more of a chemist than the creative type. How many inches of ribbon do you start with (for an A2 size card)?

Thanks so much,

Jennifer

JenR said...

Thank you for this wonderful tutorial! I actually made a bow that's a keeper! :o)

Purrbal said...

Great job! You handle the video's like a pro so no one would ever know you were "new" to making them. :D

Thanks for the tutorial.

Julie said...

Great tutorial,lesson learnt,I skimp on my ribbon! where do you find the scrummy type of ribbon that you've used here?

Wendy (aka Roo) said...

I was just having problems with a bow last night..luckily today I hopped over the ThePaperLandscaper to view all her projects I've missed over the past week or so AND she had a link to this post!
I loved your tutorial, am going to keep it on hand when I go to make my next bow. Love your blog, will have to check it out in more detail!

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover