Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Feb 17, 2011

Alter it: Lampshade

Usually I'm a carding girl, but today I've got a little something that isn't a card to share with you. Yesterday I shared a little frame that I'd made.... and today I've got an altered lampshade.

I found this burlap (um, super trendy!) shade at Target for $9.99, and I grabbed some of my red felt, and my Rolled Rose Dienamic. The only supply I'm forgetting is some stick pins with pearl heads.


I cut three red rolled roses - in home design, as well as card design, that rule of three is KEY!


If you haven't done a rolled rose before, you'll grab the outermost edge with a pair of tweezers or a quilling tool, and roll backwards, from the outside towards the center. I secured mine in back with Jody Boosters. (Note I didn't take the back booster off. I left the paper backing on the other side...)

I stuck a pearl ended straight pin through the bloom, and through the Booster and simply tucked it right through the lampshade.


The great thing, these are literally pinned in place, not glued onto the shade, so if I want to switch out the color for the summer to something else, it is totally no problem! Safety tip: Once you have your pins stuck through, use a pair of pliers to bend the pin backs so that you don't have sharp pins inside your light! Yikes!


Once I had my three blooms in place, I added a crystal flourish. I have to say I love the rustic feel of the burlap shade contrasted with lush felt, and a bit of bling. So me.

This was so fun, that I'm looking forward to freshening up and adding a bit of color, texture and a bit of what makes me so me throughout my home.


21 Comments    Post a Comment:

Karen Giron said...

WOW, girl! Please come decorate for me!! Please???

Eva said...

Girlie, this is such a FABULOUS idea!!! IN LOVE with it!!!

Bren said...

Super idea and how stylish. Love it

Kimberly Gajewski said...

What a FABULOUS idea Joanne! It looks simply AMAZING! Thanks for the rose tips! I just got this die and now I have a better idea of how to use it! :D

Laura Pryor said...

OH MY FREAKIN' GOSH!!!! This is totally amazing! I really love it!

Steph said...

Oooooh, gorgeous! What a fab idea! x

Stacy's Paper Crafts said...

Soooo pretty! Thanks for sharing :)

Jessica Diedrich said...

This is AMAZING! What a fab idea-LOVE THIS!

Tara Cardwell said...

What an amazing idea! Just LOVE it! So easy and simple and so unique.

Jana Weaver said...

Oh wow...that is so adorable!! I wish I had a cool lamp like that to make a new shade for then I'd totally CASE this!!!

Basement Stamper said...

This is absolutely amazing, love the colors you chose for the burlap!!! And I'm sold on those rolled roses, I love the rolled flower but this is awesome too!

Rose said...

Adorable lampshade, the textures are awesome, those felt flowers pop! What a great new look for a plain ole lamp shade!

Christina Fischer said...

I'm LOVING this. I just might have a "Joanne shade" in my home before long! :)

Nancy L. said...

o its soooo pretty!!! love it!!

Lisa H. said...

THIS is sooo WOW! over the top fantastic!

Michelle said...

That is so fantastic! I love the contrast of the red soft flowers on the burlap. We are redoing my daughter's room this summer and a flower-ed and blingy lamp shade would be perfect for the little diva. TFS your great idea!

Cheri said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! This is wonderful! I just ordered that die the other day. . . now I have another fantastic project to use it on! Thank you for the inspiration. . . I adore it!

Beate said...

Oh Joanne, this is gorgeous! Your roses look beautiful on that lamp shade and the rhinestone swirl finishes it off beautiful.
Hugs and smiles

carole (TruCarMa) said...

This is truly stunning, Jo -- such a FABULOUS idea, and beautifully executed. This goes in the Jo Hall of Fame, for sure! :)

Jessie/knightrone said...

Oh, this is GORGEOUS!!!

FlaCpnlover said...

OMG! This is just fantabulous..thanks for sharing; I have decided that I have to get that die.

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover