Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Oct 30, 2008

Nuts. Its Halloween.

While children everywhere in the US are so excited about Halloween, call me a party pooper, but this holiday just scares the pants off of me.  I'm in denial.  

Since both my boys severe food allergies I simply loathe this holiday.  Come to think of it, I have an especially good reason to not enjoy Halloween.  It was three years ago when I learned, the hard way, as in oral swelling and a 911 call, that my eldest had a food allergy.  It was the day after Halloween, in fact, the night before, he ATE a peanut butter cup.  That was B.A.  - Before Allergies.

All week I've procrastinated buying candy.  I made three batches of cookies for tomorrow's "Harvest Celebration" in my son's kindergarten class so that I could be sure that everything is safe for him.  I've sent an email to the teacher to just verify that she's double checking everything that comes in from other parents.  I'm sure I'm pestering...but I'm a control freak where this is concerned.  Can't help it. Its my job.

Usually I pre-deliver candy to my neighbors for them to hand out to the boys.  I do it so that they can participate in trick or treating in a safe way.  This year, all week, my phone has been ringing from my wonderful neighbors who have been checking in to see what "Thing One" and "Thing Two" can have.  So thoughtful!  I love that they're all thinking of the boys safety.

We discussed with "Thing One" tonight that my husband will supervise candy selection at each house, and then we'll review all the candy at home.  We'll have a basket of safe options for him to switch out for anything that we decide is too risky.  

Spiderman and Batman are so very excited for the holiday and of course  I'll love watching them headed out in costume, but really I'll be so happy once they're home safe and snuggled in their beds.  


10 Comments    Post a Comment:

Lee said...

I'm not into Halloween either. And I learned a lot from watching Tim McGraw talk about severe allergies and young children!! And I'm totally cracking up!!! My dh calls our kiddos Thing 1 and Thing 2!!!!

emilymomto3boys said...

oh man! We love Halloween! Although we have no food allergies here so we're good!

Shannan Teubner said...

Once they're adults they will love you for this!!! :)

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

I'm totally with you, Joanne! My stomach sinks to think of sending Savannah off to school wondering what treats she'll be receiving. She usually doesn't touch anything without asking, but I'm always worried about that first time!

Kerry Johnson said...

I feel for you!! I think schools here in Canada might be a bit better - no nuts or nut products allowed. But I also know that there's no guarantee. One of my good friends also had a son who is severely anaphalactic and she does many of the same things you do. It's the unknown that's really so scary! ((HUGS)) and hope you have a wonderful halloween!

Kerry Johnson said...

Ah - HAS a son - not had!!!

MelissaS said...

I can relate, too. This morning I needed extra time at kindergarten drop-off just to review the treats other parents were bringing in. Then I had to write a note for the teacher including what DS could eat. I'll let him trick or treat, but will switch out his candy when we get home. Have you seen Yummy Earth organic treats (lollipops and hard candies)? Totally allergen free (top 8 allergens) and delicious!

dpkennedy said...

Ooh, that is a scary one. It's so nice to hear that your neighbors are so conscientious! I'm sure they will have fun and be safe too!

Tricia T said...

Bless your heart Joanne! I know it's hard, but it sounds like you're doing a great job. The problem at our house is wheat and butter... but mine are older, so no trick or treating for us. My older daughter is very sad to see all the gluten free candy go out the door, though. She's hoping we don't get any trick-or-treaters!! LOL!

Sew Club said...

I hope that everything went well, Joanne! Bless their little hearts!

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover