Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Nov 6, 2007

Cold Grey Rainy Day

Its cold and grey, totally rainy, blah sort of day. A day like this calls for two things. A nap (which I can't take since I've got daycare kids here, I think parents would frown upon that.) and minestrone soup.

This recipe is my mom's and it is so quick, easy and hearty. Fills the house with a yummy smell, and of course, my stomach too. Just had a bowl for lunch, and it will be dinner again tonight. My husband loves it with the white beans and carrots, I don't, and he's not here, so its just loads of zucchini and onion and tomato for me. When I was doing weight watchers I lived on this stuff.

Here's the recipe:

2 tablespoons olive oil
one onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
5 cups beef broth
1 can tomatoes with juice
1 large carrot chopped
1 zucchini chopped (I use two or more, today I had summer squash so I mixed that in too!)
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup beans (small white)
1/2 cup small pasta

Cook onion and garlic in oil, then add stock, tomatoes and carrots, zucchini and seasonings (not sugar and balsamic vinegar yet!)

Cover and simmer about 20 minutes.

Wash and drain beans, add beans, vinegar and pasta cook covered until pasta is done, about 8-10 minutes.

5 Comments    Post a Comment:

Liz said...

This sounds so delicious and comforting (perfect for this chilly weather!). And Points friendly, I'm sure?! LOL

Dottie K. said...

This sounds so yummy! I bet it taste good on a cold day. :)

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Mmmmm.. .that does sound good! I'll have to try it! I LOVE soup!

Lisa's Blessed A Latte said...

Yum....I am going to try this for sure!!!!

Anonymous said...

I guess I forgot to tell you that I cook the pasta separately now and add it in at the end. Sorry about that. Love, Mom

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover