Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Aug 24, 2008

A Green Party - And a chance at Blog Candy!

Oh don't worry, I'm not here to talk politics!  I'm here to share about my son's birthday party last weekend!

We decided to have his party at Tangerini's a local farm where he attended summer camp.  The children enjoyed a beautiful day outside, including a hayride all around the property, past the giant sunflowers and out to the cornfields where the owner let each child take home eight ears of corn.  YUM! She then showed us that fresh off the stalk it is totally delicious raw (sounds terrible right? But boy was it tasty!!)  

The kids also got to play in the hay maze, chased the poor chickens around, visited with the goats and of course enjoyed cupcakes and ice cream.  

I wasn't able to go fully green at this party there were a few things I could have done a better job, but here's what I did:

1)  Made organic cupcakes and frosting from Cherrybrook Kitchens

2) Used cloth tablecloths that I happened to have at home already rather than buy those icky plastic ones from the party supply store

3) Didn't have balloon decorations 

4) Instead of the goodie bag stuff that kids usually come home with (ahem, junk that usually ends up in the trash, or candy the boys can't eat with their allergies....) I purchased each child a return trip to the farm for a hay ride, trip through the maze and a pumpkin this fall. 

5) I also hired a friend who makes custom cookies cook little piggy cookies for each child.  See these beautiful, and delicious cookies at Crowley Cookies.

6) Gave each child a reusable shopping bag to carry their fresh picked produce home in.

7) Everyone raved about their fresh picked corn they enjoyed for dinner that night!

What I could have done better...

1) I wish I had brought plates and real silverware from home.  I was lazy, and used paper products, which ended up in the trash.

2) Bought regular old juice boxes and ice cream --- I should have gone organic on those things, but I'll admit it, I was rushed and just hopped into a local store to get them.  Next year, to avoid allergy concerns, I'll make my own ice cream at home instead and buy organic juice for certain.

Now, how about some Blog Candy?  To participate here's what you've got to do...

1) Comment on this thread with one thing you've already done to be more green.
2) Post one thing that you know will do to be more green.

I'll collect comments to this post from now till next Sunday, September 7th. The winner will receive a string produce bag  (hey, it is a green post right??) and a hand stamped card (or two...) from me too.


Post a Comment
 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover