Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

May 7, 2009

Watercolored Memories

Whenever I sit down with a new floral set to color, I like to search around to find interesting colors to work with for inspiration.  However, I already had the perfect inspiration for this gorgeous Calla Lilly illustration from the Friendships Garden by Asela for Gina K Designs.  

My sister had a truly beautiful fall wedding, seriously beautiful, get this, it was published by The Knot! We carried the most luscious flowers, with deep red roses, and gorgeous calla lillies.  They were truly magnificent. 

Actually, truth be told every single detail of her wedding was truly magnificent!  In any case, I knew right away that I'd use her bouquets for my inspiration.  

Then I picked up my new favorite, Gina K Designs Pure Luxury Cardstock in Chocolate Kiss.  Yum.  I'm always happy to use that....mmmm chocolate.  Tasty, even as paper! Giggle.

With a piece of patterned paper from My Minds Eye I was on my way. My last (eeks!) piece of watercolor paper was stamped with Stazon Ink.  I grabbed my So Saffron, Pumpkin Pie and Riding Hood Red inkpads for the flower, and Mellow Moss, Old Olive, River Rock and Close to Cocoa for the petals, stones inside the pot and the pot itself.  

I began by applying the So Saffron to the entire blossom and set it aside to dry.  Then I layered Pumpkin Pie around the edge and finally gave it a rich ruby color on the edges and outside (just like in the actual photo I was following as a guide.)  Once that was dry, I added just the littlest bit of Copper Shimmerz for a little bit of luster.  Once I had finished the full image I added a shadow with Soft Sky around.  

I kept the design of the card simple as I wanted the watercoloring to be the focal point.  Also because I'm giving this to my mom to use and I don't want her to have to fiddle around stuffing one of my signature giant bows into an envelope!  I added a flat length of stitched grosgrain ribbon and of course lots and lots of edge distressing.  

I finished the inside of the card with matching cardstock and a Pure Luxury Ivory Liner. Its always a nice touch to a finished card, but truly necessary when its a dark base.  

Just a reminder that the latest Episode has been posted over on Stamp TV!  I always love finding a quiet moment and a cup of tea to go see what Gina's been up to each week!

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover