Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Mar 8, 2011

MFT Design Team Creative Challenge

Today is our My Favorite Things  Design Team Creative Challenge - and this month we're using Die-namics Dies to create some custom home decor. You might have seen that last month, I created a custom treatment for a lampshade using felt and the Rolled Rose Die-namic.

On a recent shopping trip, I ran across a beautiful felted pillow - and I so wanted it for my chocolate and ivory houndstooth chair, but the stickershock on a small pillow was *ridiculous* and I convinced myself that I could come up with a little something to fill up that chair....

I reached for my Rolled Rose Die-namic, my hot glue gun and my pile of felt. I found a pillow insert at Michael's, and with my handy 50% coupon, I got it for only $4. Score!  I grabbed some cotton canvas at the fabric store and got to work.  Happily I discovered that the fabric could be cut with my Carl Cutter. (nice.)  And measured off an exra 1" allowance on all sides for the seams.



The front is a small chocolate felt square, to which I've hot glue gunned nine Die-namic Rosettes into a bouquet, and finished off with a Seam Binding Bow.  Yeah me, I didn't even get a hot glue gun burn.  That stuff gets c-r-a-z-y hot. 

But then I was on a roll, playing with new paper, and dies, and a pack of Bling. (you know I'm slightly addicted lately...) and created a little frame to put next to my bed.  I swear, I think I have seasonal affective disorder, I've been a mess the last week. I'm done with dirty snow piles, I'm done with cold, and mud, and blech. I'm needing summer, and fresh air, and sitting on my deck with an iced tea.

Trying to pick myself out of my slump, I thought I'd create a pretty little reminder to myself to cheer up.... I found this shadowbox frame at HomeGoods for $9.00 - sweet!  I reached into my patterned paper box, and used some of the canvas scraps from the pillow I made above... 


The I paired my Butterflies Die-namic with the sentiment from Inspired by Butterflies. I love the way that these dies stack together....  and I've bent each of the wings up for added dimension.


of course I had to create flight trails with rhinestone bling......


and the matting that I created with this My Mind's Eye Lost and Found Paper features some "crazy stitching"  as well as a seam binding bow.... 

That's the great thing about this hobby is being able to put together a little something special to fill up an empty space on a bookshelf, or a perfect pick me up for a friend.  I love using bits of things in my crafty stash to make this place just a little bit more "me."

Thanks for staying with me through this marathon post today! Be sure to check The MFT Blog for a full list of designers participating in today's Design Team Creative Challenge!

20 Comments    Post a Comment:

Lisa - papergrace said...

Love, love, looooove both of your projects! I've thought of making a felt bouquet myself, but I am no seamstress. Even a pillow seems daunting! The frame is GORGEOUS! And I love the Lost and Found paper. What a lovely compliment to your butterfly. Both...STUNNING!

bernshwag said...

What great projects Joanne! Your pillow would look wonderful on my denim couch, hint, hint..LOL the shadow box frame is gorgeous! As a matter of fact I have a blank space on my wall right next to the couch that is begging for something just like your wonderful frame! LOL Thanks for the inspiration.....

Inge Groot said...

LOVE the pillow with all the petite roses! And the frame is gorgeous too:-D

Sarah Gough said...

LOVE these Joanne, your pillow is gorgeous! It's so satisfying making stuff yourself isn't it?! Go you!

StampOwl said...

awesome projects Joanne, this was a fun challenge :)

Christina Fischer said...

Both projects are gorgeous! I think I need to visit so I can see them in person... :)

Hang in there... spring is coming soon, I promise!

Lisa H. said...

THESE are fantastic. LOOOVE your pillow (and that houndstooth chair) and your frame-beautiful!

Erin Smetak said...

Both projects are darling!!!

Bonnie said...

Both projects are fabulous Joanne! That pillow is so beautiful - thinking here about my own living room now lol!

Nancy Guse said...

Love this it is so elegant!

Jodi Collins said...

Holy guacamole! That pillow ROCKS Joanne! LOVE it!! GORGEOUS frame too!!

g said...

these are both gorgeous projects! i need a lot of decor here at my house so this dt challenge is really giving me great ideas!

Erica said...

I love both of your projects. They are so beautiful!

Eva said...

WOWIE girlie, these are both sooo beautiful....The pillow is adorable and your framed art is GORGEOUS!!!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

Both projects are gorgeous, Jo, and I LOVE that houndstooth chair! The pillow/red rolled flowers look perfect on it.

Melody said...

Wonderful projects Joanne! I just love the pillow. I will have to case it! It would look perfect at my house!

Megan said...

These are BOTH so cute! I just *know* I've sat in that chair before! When I first got married, my husband took me to his hometown. It was around some holiday (I don't remember which) and there were activities downtown. We were going through a furniture store and I saw this chair...it was a deep brown and cream color--not black and white. I sat in it and it was SO comfortable. My non pattern loving husband thought it was comfortable, but not pretty. It stayed at the store. I went back a year or so later and swore I was going to buy it if it was still there. It wasn't...

All that to say, I LOVE the pillow and the gorgeous chair it sits in. :)

Sherrie said...

Oh I love them both Joanne, but I especially love that pillow! Way to go! That is gorgeous!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

These are GORGEOUS Joanne! I especially LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pillow! Beautifully done! :D

Julie said...

Joanne, your projects are both gorgoeus! The pillow is just stunning!

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover