Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Jan 17, 2012

Back to Basics: How-to Make a Cardbase & a Sweet Sunday Sketch Sample



Good morning! I know lots of you have been stamping for a long time, but when I teach classes, or attend trade shows, I'm always reminded that there are constantly new people picking up this hobby.  The questions I get are usually focused on the basics, so I thought I'd try to take a few steps back and review for anyone just jumping in!

I'm often asked what size I make my cards, and with few exceptions, I'm making a standard A2 (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) or a 5 1/2 square card.  I can't even begin to tell you how much card stock I wasted when I first started attending card making workshops at a friend's house.  For whatever, reason I couldn't figure out where to line up the paper, I had a really bad paper trimmer, that I swear would cut things crooked!

So, I've put together a quick video sharing how to make the basics, an A2 card in both a horizontal and a vertical orientation, a 5 1/4 square card, and a fun card you can make with the remnant card stock from your 5 1/4 square card!

I put together this video for the My Favorite Things Feature Friday segment, but I wanted to share it here too.  I've used LOTS of MFT supplies in my sample cards in the video.


I'll have more Back to Basics videos for you, and would love to know what topics you could use some assistance with!  For reference, my go to products for making a card base are my Fiskar's SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer, and my Scor-Pal, Scor-Mat and my Scor-Tool.


Of course, I couldn't just make a video... I also have a card to share today too!  I had all those extra card bases to fill up, and my friend Karen Giron had this fun sketch this week.  If you're just jumping in to stamping, I can't stress how amazing sketch challenges will be for you.  This is a GREAT way to jump start your creativity!  

I've reached for my Crate Paper: Paper Heart 6x6 pad again (I'm loving that one...) and my Sew Nifty stamp set.  And if you're a *newer* stamper, this is a fabulous set which you can use with absolutely no coloring required!  With a combination of open and solid stamps, as well as coordinating Die-namics dies. This is a really fun one that I highly recommend!


I've added a Loopy Bow to the sketch and subbed in two small buttons in place of the fish tail banner points.... If you're not able to get the Loopy Bow look just right, you could easily try a Cheater's Bow too...  Thanks so much for stopping by today, I'll be back at 10pm EST with this month's VIP Kit for My Favorite Things...



6 Comments    Post a Comment:

Kristy Hansen said...

I would like you to address sewing on a card. I don't have a sewing machine and thinking about buying a cheaper one-just for cards/layouts. If you could give your tips on where to sew etc. thank you ksh

Tricia T said...

I *thought* the VIP kit came out today! What can I do until tonight... hmmmm... I know! Stamp!! LOL! : ) Cute card today. Thanks for the inspiration!

Karen Giron said...

WOW!! This is a jaw-dropper! I adore your big loopy bow and the buttons - those buttons! How fun! I must remember that look. Fantastic video too Joanne - that would have been so handy when I was first starting out. I'm sure many new crafters will appreciate it.

Evette K. said...

Loved your back to basics video. It always helps me to go back and review. Thanks so much. Plus the cards u made you just so stinkin cute!!! Love the new bundle release. Hummmmmmm. My wish list is sooooooooooooooooooo long already. lol lol ekciampo

April said...

Wow! Thanks for the video.. Not really new to cardmaking, but that video is definitely great review. Plus I still think I have been wasting cardstock. I am just going to do as you and cut two card bases.... THANKS!

Jaybee said...

Love the back to basics idea. How about a video on how to pick paper that matches? I spend a lot of time trying to decide which patterns go together. Thanks for sharing!

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover