Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Jan 30, 2008

Playdough Pouch Tutorial

As I mentioned the other day, my son has a severe nut allergy, so I'm always looking for fun things to do for Valentines that don't involve candy! When I saw teeny playdough packages in Valentine colors, I thought they'd be a fun candy alternative for his preschool class.
I like to use gender neutral stuff for class prizes to make life easier for the teachers so that they didn't hear "I don't WANT blue, I want PINK!!" (I'm a daycare provider, so I know how keeping things simple makes all the difference!) Wild Wasabi and Real Red to the rescue!

To start you'll need a piece of Wild Wasabi cardstock measuring 4 1/4 by 11. Score it at 4, 5 1/4 and 9 1/4. I then used a corner rounder to round off the top two edges. Stamp the front and top pieces and secure a glue dot on the bottom inside to tack on your playdough (or whatever your prize is for that matter)

My main image holds the little treat box closed, just make sure to put dimensionals only on the bottom or you'll secure the whole thing closed! ;-)
The main image is stamped on Shimmery White with Brilliance Black ink, then watercolored with Basic Grey, Wild Wasabi and Real Red inks.

I can't seem to do a project without ribbon, but I didn't want to use up a ton because I'm afraid these will end up destroyed by the children, or tossed in the trash (GASP!) so I incorporated just a little bit with a cute side tie I saw on Charmaine's blog a few weeks ago. This is a 1 inch circle punch out in wasabi that I folded in half and then punched with a hand punch to make a little slot for my ribbon. Perfect, a touch of cute, but I don't have to worry if it gets tossed.

I really wanted to add a scalloped border, or some cerise designer paper or something, but held back as I have 22 of these to make - and a long to do list around here so I streamlined. But I figure if I made 130 Christmas cards, I can crank out 22 valentines quickly!

Oops, I almost forgot, here's a little side view of the project to see where the dough is hiding!
Have a great day everyone!

6 Comments    Post a Comment:

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Joanne, this is absolutely adorable! Oh my goodness! I LOVE it! What a great little gift. . .and no candy with nuts! :)

Alex said...

that is stinkin' adorable! Found your blog through Charmaine's and love your creations so I know I will become a regular *wink*. This is darling! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Dana said...

Very Cool! We gave out playdough on Halloween and it was a HUGE hit with kids and parents alike.
I was thinking of making some for my son's class...I think you've inspired me!

Seize the Daisy! said...

How can you part with these? I want them, YES, YES, YES. Love the playdough bag. Has great possibilities. LoriE.

Abra Leah Cross said...

Awesome idea!!!!!

Julie Campbell said...

Girl! You're brilliant! I have 2 bags full of these little PlayDough containers. Yeah! :) Thanks for the great idea!

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover