Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Nov 7, 2008

Why it pays to read my google reader

I'm hopelessly behind in blog reading and commenting. 

Tonight I'm the e-girl trying to catch up, when I ran across this frightening post on my allergy blog list.

Puff Plus with lotion - the lotion contains shea butter. Um people, that's a tree nut.

I always say that it isn't the food that has the potential to get us in trouble, but the lotions and health and beauty products where you don't expect to find them.  Just what I need. Tree nuts in the nasal passages. Yowsers!

Similar to my "just a little green" I'm thinking of doing a recurring allergy post around here.  Since you all were so helpful on a name, any great ideas?  

4 Comments    Post a Comment:

Anonymous said...

Check out ewg.org. They are the environmental consumer watchgroup. You will be amazed when you check out their database called Skin Deep

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,

I just wanted to tell you that the Target in your area has the whale soap in stock (as of Thursday).

Anonymous said...

As the mother of a daughter allergic to tree nuts, I can relate to how confusing it can be to determine what is "safe". After seeing Shea in hand soap from Bath & Body Works, I discussed Shea with our allergist (a leading Pediatric Allergist at Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters). Our doctor stated that Shea is actually considered part of the "palm" family, like Coconuts, so unless someone tests positive for that specific allergen (which is not as common as tree nuts), it is not of concern. So ask your child's doctor about Shea... no need to avoid something if it may be of no harm at all.

Anonymous said...

Shea will presumably provide a moisturising element. She is very gentle and soothing -deemed safe for use on babies and certainly I have very sensitive skin bordering on excema and she is the only thing I can use happily and it is in my view wonderful.

Although I agree, we are bombarded with chemicals, not everything is bad and in general items particularly for use internally which nasel passage are, are extra carefully checked for risk of allery etc.

I would ask at this point if I may for people to also take into account animal testing. The environment includes those animals in labs tested on to produce all these products and I would urge you all to consider this too and buy cruelty free-you'll find cruelty free often means less rubbish in to too!

Hope you don't think I'm hijacking. Sorry is I am.

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover