Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Dec 4, 2008

Christmas Cards, Mass Production Style

If you've been reading here a long time, you may remember that last year I shared my Christmas card making process... but not the finished card till they had been received.  Its been a little quieter than usual here on the blog because mass production has commenced. 

I'll admit that I contemplated just buying photo cards this year, because I've been finding mass production totally tedious lately.  But, I can't be the lady who makes cards who didn't make her cards.  So, here's how I get around the tediousness of doing the same thing times one hundred. I break it up into smallish chunks and just focus on one portion of the job at a time....

I spent one morning just cutting nesties.  I cranked them out in less than an hour, which was better than I thought.  Over Thanksgiving break, I spent about 2 hours stamping all the card fronts, and then later that afternoon, I tied knots inside of buttons for a while. Let me just say, that got really really boring very quickly, so I might be skipping the knots on the remainder of my cards!! 

Last night my order arrived from SU, and in 20 minutes, I had ALL MY CARDSTOCK CUT! With the help of my trusty carl cutter. 100 cards, 20 minutes.  Love it!  While I watched TV with my husband, I scored all the bases and got 50 mats assembled with ribbon.

Today, I've got more nestie mats to cut - I tried, hard, to make the card without a double layered nestie, but I just couldn't do it.  If I'm going to make cards, I want to like them, and I'm not so good on cutting corners.  

Tonight, I hope to crank out the last 50 panels and then I'll just have to do the final assembly.  (Right now I can't even think about the fact that I have to go back and print labels, sign cards, enclose photos, buy stamps... aaaak!)  

I've got to just motor with each small segment of the job and feel like I'm making major progress.  

Besides, as long as they get there before Christmas I'm good. Right?

16 Comments    Post a Comment:

Unknown said...

You are definitely good - I never even mailed mine out last year! LOL! At least they are done for this year - complete with last years pic, a pic from this summer and this year's pic - YIKES! So bad! You are way ahead of the game dearie! :)

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

Very detailed cards for sure. I would love to see all of the card, but I know you don't want to share all for those receiving them. Beautiful colors!LOL on tieing the knots..that would be tedious!

Deborah Anton said...

You are better than me!! I can't even think about making cards this year!! I just finished with my sisters wedding and all the things I had to make for her! Good luck on the cards!!

Karen Motz said...

They're looking fabulous Joanne! My opinion...before or after Christmas, either one is ok. If it's after, you're just extending the Holiday Season! :)

dpkennedy said...

Wow, you go girl! They look great so far! I used to do all of that, but I wimped out this year. For the first time ever I had photocards of the kids made up. I still make more than a dozen cards and insert photos for the special people who I know will treasure their handmade card. This way I don't succumb to the pressure and mass produce something I don't like just to get them done! I try to convince myself that one day I will be organized and will be able to do it all!

Jessie/knightrone said...

You sound like me girl!! This is exactly how I mass produce, but last year I made 80 of the same card...never again!! I HATED the card by the time I was done!!

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

I'm in the same boat on my cards, but luckily I only 50 to make. I love that October Afternoon paper - I made a card using Gina's Got Snow? set with it a few months ago.

Good luck with your cards (and those buttons...!) and I hope you post the final result when it's 'safe' to do so!

whoistracy said...

Wow, you must send out a TON of cards! I make mine one-at-a-time so each is different. But I probably only have 25 people on my list. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

i agree. if you are known for making your own cards, how can you think about store bought cards. i trimmed down our list this year and still have 80 cards to send out. i am definitely using store bought for those people that i know could care less if the card is store bought. i would love to get my hand made cards down to 30. need to look closer at that list again. :)

Rose Ann said...

You go, girl!! They're looking beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

That works for me!!! At least you've gotten a good start on yours. Mine are still sitting as cut cardstock. Ugh!!!! Need to get them taken care of this weekend. Your cards look fabulous so far.

toutsimplementmarijo said...

I really love your work- your such a source of insparation.I don't know if our ever heard about the price "i love your blog" but i want to give you that honnor because of you!! congratulations!!!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

It's quite a process! I'm blog browsing this evening and assembling a large amount of cards myself. I'm happier I'm not the only one! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to see what they look like finished.

iamjaytee said...

I make some and buy some. I will not send a handmade card to someone who I know is going to look at it for 2 seconds, and pitch it in the trash! It makes me too sad!!!

Melanie said...

WOW, these are FANCY mass produced cards!! props to you!! :)

Amber (bambi64) said...

ooo You are good!! They look wonderful! I haven't even started mine yet!! I've been working on ordes for other people!! Got the 30 card order done now I have to work on the 50-75 card order and then I can start mine of 75 or so cards!!! Wanna come help??

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover