Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Dec 9, 2008

Morning Birding


Today I have a Gina K Designs preview for you illustrated by Rupa titled "Home Tweet Home."  I know I've said this before, but the illustrators have really outdone themselves this month.  

One of our morning rituals here at my house, is to watch the birds at my feeder. Its a great way to get the boys to sit at the table and actually eat their breakfast rather than run around like maniacs, and I love to sit and enjoy a hot cup of tea watching our little feathered friends.

Lately, we've had this really beautiful black and red bird with a little bit of red around his head.  You've got to be very sneaky watching him, or else he's off like a shot.  The feeder needs a refill, but brrrr its cold here in New England, I'm having a hard time convincing my husband to fill that puppy up, and me, I'm too short to reach.  So, needless to say, I was very excited when I first saw the artwork in this new set.  

I stamped the image with Memento ink, then colored with my Copic Markers.  Then I applied the Nestie right over the image, secured it with some Eclipse Masking Tape and ran it through my Cuttlebug.  Worked like a charm.  I used to always cut the nestie out first, then stamp on it, but this new system is working better for me.  What do YOU do first? Stamp then diecut, or diecut then stamp? 

What I really wanted to do was one of those beautiful Copic backgrounds... with the airbrush, but since I don't have that tool, I improvised with lots of things I DO already have.  First,  I went over my entire image with a Versamarker, applied Clear Embossing Powder and heat embossed.  Then I sponged all around my diecut shape with Soft Sky ink from SU, then did a second pass with Craft White Ink to soften the sky.  The clear embossing powder resisted the ink, so I was able to wipe it right off the main image.  I will say, I made a complete mess in the process, but that's half the fun right?

There are also some beautifully illustrated birdhouses that you might just see as you blog hop around to the Design Team this morning.  I got to say I just love preview days and jumping around to see what everyone has done.....and it gets better... there are TWO sets being revealed today. Be sure not to miss a thing by visiting: 

Gina, Erika, Theresa, Donna, Jessica, Melanie, Kurtis, Emily, Cammie and our Spotlight Designer - Carolina

15 Comments    Post a Comment:

Theresa Momber said...

Beautiful design, Joanne! Love your copic coloring on the bird!

Melanie said...

I love the way you colored your bird, colors are perfect, I haven't inked up this one yet! great story about your birdie friend!

emilymomto3boys said...

oh so pretty Joanne!! fab coloring on there - love the blue sky!

Carolina said...

What a beautiful card Joanne! The design, the coloring and your color choices...it all just came together perfectly!

Cat Tidwell said...

Beautiful card Joanne, love that bird, awesome coloring on him/her, lol!

I do the same thing each morning, watch the birds at my feeders, and get a strange one every once in awhile that I have no clue what it is, lol.

Erika Martin - Stampin' Mama said...

Your coloring is so beautiful! Well done!

Unknown said...

Okay, this is so adorable! I love your little chatter of the process you went through to make it too! Your main image looks so cool... great job!!

Cindy Lawrence said...

Absolutely beautiful, Joanne! Love the simplicity of the layout, and the warm colors and beautiful coloring!

Jessie/knightrone said...

Stunning work Joanne!!

Kurtis said...

So Pretty!! I always stamp and color first, before using my die cut.

Karen Motz said...

This card takes my breath away! Suck a PRETTY bird and I love your background!!! Can I come eat breakfast at your house and watch the birds too? :)

Carolyn King said...

BEAUTIFUL---love ur coloring--looks fantastic. I just made up colors on my bird (which i will post at the party) this looks so realistic! FAbulous!

Karen Hanim said...

Love the card! I think you are a bit courageous to do all of that to your image after you have spent time coloring it! Wish I could watch the birds with you. All I have is a huge seagull that comes by once in a while and lands on my balcony railing. We are 8 floors up so I think he is just taking a break .

Terri said...

Nice job. I thought you airbrushed it. Great substitution.

Rose Ann said...

This is very beautiful, and I love your coloring and use of the Nesties!!

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover