Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Jan 16, 2009

Being Prepared

I posted earlier this week on my diligence to keep my food allergic boys safe.  However, that's only half the battle. The other half is being prepared, and knowing what to do in the event of a reaction.  Its so important to have a food allergy plan, and know how to handle a medical emergency. Not deviating from the plan you've put together with your doctor is crucial to making the best decisions for your child.  Ask me how I know? We had to put our plan into action last night.

Just after dinner, I looked down at my three year old and noticed his eye was red, and sort of glassy looking.  As I picked him up for a snuggle for a closer look, I noticed that his lip looked sort of puffy.  As I opened his mouth, I noticed that there was a good bit of interior swelling on his lip.  Its a good thing I checked *inside* because from the outside, it looked pretty good.

Allergy plan in effect!  I grabbed my purse, gave him a dose of Benadryl and had my husband dial 911.  I was debating about the Epi Pen, and had it by my side ready to use if necessary.  Our pediatrician has told me that any swelling on the inside can very quickly spread resulting in a swollen airway.  The trucks arrived within three minutes, and they checked his respiration (fine) and his oxygen concentration (fine.)  I could already see the anti-histamine from the Benadryl taking effect.  

However, even though he was doing better, it still was advised that we get a "truck ride" for further observation.  I'm so lucky that my college room mate lives across the street. Before I even got in the truck, she was there to take my six year old so that we didn't all have to go to the hospital. Thank you sweetie, you are truly the best.  Little man and I hopped in the truck where he asked many questions about the equipment and had his vitals checked several times along the way. 

Now, you may ask, if he was doing better and the meds had stopped the reaction, why the truck ride?  We're not sure what caused the reaction.  And if it was the half an apple he'd eaten, then he had half an apple's worth of material to continue to cause secondary reactions.  At the ER he received additional medications, and he stayed for observation for about an hour and a half.  He'll continue to be on medicines to stave off any reactions till whatever it is that he ate has passed through his system. 

I'm not telling you this to scare you but to indicate that even given the best efforts to eliminate any sources of allergic reactions, you can still never guarantee it won't happen.  Whether there was a trace of residue from one of the daycare children's food, or from my kitchen cleanser (for which I'm now looking for a replacement) or if he's developed a new allergy to apple, I don't know yet.  I'll be scheduling an appointment with our allergist to see what the next steps are.  But for now, I'm just going to snuggle with my little brave boy.  

If you have food allergic children, remember to keep your emergency meds close, never leave home without them, and don't ever be afraid to put your allergy action plan to use. While I didn't want to have to use that pen, and I hope I never do, it was ready by my side in case that lip swelling got worse.  Luckily the Benadryl worked fast, and thank goodness for living so close to the Fire Station.......  


18 Comments    Post a Comment:

Lorie said...

How scary! I have a friend whose son is VERY allergic to peanuts and the emergency plan has always been...

Stick him with the Epi Pen
Call 911 then
Call Mom

It was scary having him at our church activities but with a plan it can be okay.

Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Kerry Johnson said...

How very scary - but less so when you have a plan. Hope he's doing better and you get the answers you need.

Unknown said...

so sorry. i know how scary and confusing this can be. we had our first accident with our 3 year old a few months ago; epi, ER...it's all on my blog. but a couple weeks later, we had another scare from we don't know what. it's still a mystery. we did not do the epi but lots of benedryl and a quick drive to the ER parking lot. i really wish we did not have to live with these fears. but like they say, God gave us THESE children for a reason...we are able to protect and care for them better than anyone else. I'm so glad our kiddies have US to care for them. :) hugs to you and your fam as you sort through all this.

Karen Motz said...

Wow Joanne...thank goodness you have that allergy plan and you're so diligent. I'm very happy to hear Little Man is back home safe and sound.

Brenda said...

Thank goodness you noticed the signs that something was wrong and had a plan in place. I am so glad that your little guy is home and all is well.

Jana Weaver said...

I am so glad to hear your little guy is ok...what a horribly scary thing! But I can definitely see where having a plan would make it easier to handle...allows you to fall apart when it's over! I hope you had a nice big glass of wine last night!! :-)

Lots of huggs!!!
-Jana

bethtrue said...

Wow - that's scary. Good reminder to have an "emergency plan" and that if there is a question of calling 911, then you should just call 911. Glad he is o.k. and thanks for sharing.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Oh my gosh, Joanne, this is my worst fear! Thanks for sharing that story. I, too, worry about ever having to use the EpiPen. So happy to hear everything is okay now!

Shannan Teubner said...

I can't imagine how scary that must have been, especially not to know what triggered that reaction. It's such a helpless feeling! He's lucky to have you as a mom. :)

MelissaS said...

Yes he's lucky you were able to stay calm and follow your action plan. My son is allergic to dairy and eggs, and it's easy to let down your guard when you've been a while without a reaction. This reminds us that the guard should always be UP and that we should never doubt our instincts in these situations!

Shemaine Smith said...

it's great that you shared this with everyone because knowledge really is power. While thankfully we have an allergy free family my sweet ds came to me yesterday and asked that he no longer take pb&j sandwiches to school because a classmate has peanut allergies. I had my DH run out and buy him turkey slices last night :)

Anonymous said...

How scary!!! I'm glad your little one is ok.

Norine said...

How scary for you and I am so glad he is ok
Hugs
Norine

Rose Ann said...

How scary, Joanne...but I'm so glad things worked out ok in the end!!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

{{{{Joanne!}}}} so scary, but so glad you had a plan in place, followed that plan, and kept your level head. Big, big hugs, my friend. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I just wouldn't know what to do... You are amazing! I'm so glad all is well with him!
When Ella was born she had severe eosinophilic gastroenteritis caused by Milk and Soy protein. She would bleed profusely through her bowels if she had even the smallest skosh... and I was breastfeeding which usually breaks it down really well. It was a crazy first 2 years... I ended up going on her diet to make sure I could still nurse her... that worked until she was about a year then we switched her to pre-digested formula. She ended up outgrowing it all and now chugs milk like it's in short demand! I can't even imagine how life would be if she didn't outgrow it.
Hey... I need your snail mail ... can you email me with it? Stampinintherain (AT) msn.com

Lisa H. said...

wow! how scary. you sound so calm writing it here! glad he is doing fine, and so happy you shared this. I am around quite a few friends and my one neice with paeanut allergies. I feel lucky that I am so aware of the severity of these allergies, but I know others who are not so "in the know". Thanks for sharing your story.

Melanie said...

I know how fortunate I am that my children don't have allergies! HUGS!!!!

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover