Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

May 19, 2009

Time for the Bubbly: Coffee Sugar Scrub

I hope you've been having a blast hopping around to see what everyone has done to fill their jars today! If you didn't start at Kim's blog, you'll want to head over there so that you don't miss anything along the way!

I am a bath product junkie - but now that I've got kids, I feel guilty spending lots of money on expensive shampoos, scrubs and what not.  My husband likes to call the hand rail in my shower the "spice rack" because I've got little bottles of "stuff" all lined up.

I'm going to walk through the ingredients in my jar as well as details on my project, but in case you're just looking to hop along, the next step on this fantastic blog hop is FRANCES!

One of my favorite indulgences used to be the Origins sugar scrub.  But seriously, its sugar and oil!!!!  So, I let my fingers to the walking and was able to make a yummy sugar scrub with ingredients I already had in my pantry, it cost me NOTHING!  

And, as a bonus, I happened to have all the organic versions of my ingredients, so this little scrub has no chemicals, no preservatives, its completely natural! 

I filled my jar with sugar, then poured it out into a mixing bowl.  I should have been more precise, but my guess is that its 2-3 cups of sugar.  I added about 1 1/2 cup of olive oil.  From my reading online, the preferred oil to use is avocado oil or almond oil.  But, since I didn't have avocado oil handy (although it sounds delicious!) and as both my children have nut allergies, I clearly don't have almond oil.  I did check though and both are available at my local supermarket.

Then I added in a dash of vanilla for a tasty scent, and five tablespoons of ground coffee.  If you wanted to give this sugar scrub an upgrade, you could substitute essential oils or even add in a fresh vanilla bean - my supermarket carries them both, but with just my standard ingredients it was perfect!

You *can* mix everything directly in your jar, but I'll just say the oil and coffee was getting a little messy.  I mixed it all up in a bowl, then smooshed it back into the jar.  The extra was my serving for a shower this morning.  I of course couldn't recommend it till I'd tried it! 

The coffee was a great exfoliant and the scents were amazing!  As my shower got all steamy the whole bathroom smelled like a warm vanilla coffee. YUMMY!  And after I got out of the shower, my skin felt so soft.  I will warn you however, that you will have to clean out any remaining residue off your shower.  For me, it was a wonderful excuse for an extended shower - just about the only quiet time I'm likely to get any time of day!   

Depending on what you put in YOUR jar, you can stamp the label, or create a little tag like I've done here.  I created a quick bellyband for my jar and adhered it with Zip Dry Glue, it is 2" in height.  Then I traced the lid onto the backside of a piece of coordinating cardstock, and trimmed just inside the pencil line.  I adhered it with a bit of Zip Dry to the top of the container then sanded all the edges. 

Once I had my jar all altered up, I decided it really needed a matching card using "Time for The Bubbly." It was easy to do since I already had all those leftover scraps from my jar project!  I'll use this to include the ingredients and a little note to the recipient!  

I even found a cardmakers size of that fun damask print in my stash pile for a smaller scale print for paper piecing the wallpaper!  I don't usually add two different ribbons to a card, but I was going for girly girly on this so I went with it anyways....

Thanks so much for visiting and reading my GINORMOUS post today!

40 Comments    Post a Comment:

StampOwl said...

wonderful project Joanne

Carolyn King said...

what a beautiful set! Love that ribbon you used! GREAT job...feminine and frilly!!! gotta love that!

hobbydiva said...

Totally LOVE it!!!!! Gonna have to try that pleated ribbon!!!!

Christina Fischer said...

Gorgeous!!! Love this project -- I bet it smells fantastic!! :)

Kate said...

I can smell it from here! One of my favorite clor combs.

Cindy Haffner said...

Awesome!!!!!

Chrissy's Creations said...

This set is just totally gorgeous!! I love the pretty papers and frilly ribbon.

Michele Boyer said...

Ohhhh...that recipe sounds amazing!! LOVE your ribbon!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

YOU were one of the Marthas, btw, I referred to on my post... LOL! I want to take a big ole whiff of this one, and I adore that ruffle on your card! Way to go, Jo!!!

Amy Sheffer said...

Gasp! This is so gorgeous and girly! WOW! Sounds like a fantastic recipe, too!

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my gosh...how absolutely fantastic!

Carolina said...

What a precious gift set Joanne! Love the girly, sweet look to your set!

Kelli Hull said...

I had sugar scrubs in the past as gifties that I got and LOVED them but did NOT like the SUPER Greasy feeling, I'm wondering if the avocado oil is less greasy... SUPER Idea and I'm gonna try it...

Bonnie Lynn said...

How cool! I love the card too.

JessicaK said...

Fantastic project Joanne, practical and creative altogether.

Michelle said...

So girly! I love it. I'm definitely trying this vanilla coffee scrub - it sounds scrumptious.

Susan (susiestampalot) said...

joanne---acckkkk!! you used some more of that FUN trim! i love your little set here!! i think i'm tempted to eat the coffee sugar scrub, rather than bathe in it, though!! sounds yummy!

Melody said...

What a beautiful, feminine card! Love the ruffle! Sounds like a great recipe.

Betty J Schaub said...

so lovely. the embossed piece is gorgeous!

Joycelyn Pelkey said...

I'm going to have to try that scrup...love the idea idea of my bathroom smelling like a vanilla coffee in the morning!!! GORGEOUS project!!

Tracey said...

This is gorgeous Joanne!

Christyne said...

FANTASTIC! And a great scrub recipe...I will have to try it!

Joyce said...

Love the use of the ribbon. Too cute.

Lynn said...

This is wonderful!

Thanks for a nifty bath scrub recipe!

Carrol said...

Love it. I can't think of a better way of staring your day.

Anonymous said...

Love the use of the gingham ribbon. REALLY CUTE. Thanks for sharing.

Carol F

April said...

It looks wonderful. This project looks like it was a lot of fun. Your jar and ingredients are beautiful.

Candice said...

This is such a BEAUTIFUL set, Joanne!!

Brenda said...

Beautiful set Joanne!! I love how you made the card, and the way you used two ribbons. Coffee vanilla sugar scrub sounds great!! Thank you for the recipe.

Lady Liberty said...

I just love this set Joanne. Love it - thanks for sharing.
Gloria

Erika M. said...

This project rocks!

Dainty Diva said...

This is a super project. I like

Anonymous said...

Wow! I may have to try this on this long weekend. Love the card and thanks for all yummy info!!

Hope

Leah said...

I think you need to start a sugar scrub business! What a fab idea!

Karen Wilson said...

Hi Joanne! I was wondering if I could link to this from my blog? I love this project! You can email me at wilson_familyof4@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Karen

Anonymous said...

i love pink!! love your project, its so fab and cute!

ginadcelisatyahoodotcom

Jessie/knightrone said...

Sounds FABULOUS!! Amazing jar and your card is GORGEOUS!!

i {heart} papers said...

These are amazing!

Karen Wilson said...

Hi Joanne! This blog entry has inspired me for 2 teachers gifts. I went looking for some other recipes and came across this site and thought I would share it with you! Enjoy!

Beverly said...

JoAnne.. JoAnne.. JoAnne.. This is EXACTLY what I want to make for my swap.. hooray! Did you use regular sugar or a coarser kind? Do they make coarser sugar.. AND..have your tried it with Salt? Please let me know if you have time. I have made Salt scrubs using essential oils.. but never sugar, coffee and vanilla!! This sounds fabulousa! Thanks so much for sharing.. off to raid my kitchen cabinets! WOOT!!!

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover