Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Aug 2, 2009

Enjoying Life - and my stamps too!

I'm just home from CHA and resting on the couch with my little ones. It was a fantastic trip, but I'm exhausted from late nights up with friends. I figure, when you only see people once or twice a year, that you make the most of every minute your time together. And for us, that meant, only a few hours of sleep each night.

I realized that I hadn't ever shared a fun little gift set I'd made with Paper Trey Ink's "Life" set and thought that I'd hop on over here, say hello and share....

I downloaded the Timeless Template called "From the Desk Of" with the full intention of making a set of notecards to go inside. But, you know me and all my layers, they weren't going to fit.

Then I realized that I could also use the sweet little box as a gift organizer, leaving my friend this little 3d box for her to organize whatever she'd like, bills, receipts etc.

I started with the altered DVD tin turned into a photo album. I figured that would use the most paper and I wanted to have lots of options.

By inking portions of the sentiment individually, I was able to line up the sentiment to fit across this nestie diecut and tucked it around the bottom of the "f" in life all nice and snugly.

Then, of course, it needed a
coordinating card for the gift! Once you've got one item done, the next pieces are easier, because you have the general elements outlined, color palette, which ribbon to add etc.

Using just a bit of scraps, I added a little notebook by altering just the top of a junior legal pad and a bit of gingham ribbon for a finishing touch. (silly me, I don't think I got a picture of that piece, but you get the idea...)

With just enough paper left, I cranked out one more similar card using all the same papers and inks. This time, I stitched that polka dotted layer in place, and opted out of any nesties, reaching instead for my beloved edge distresser and sewing machine.

Sometimes I struggle with whether I should go for the"more" version or the "less". When I made this, I originally preferred the one with the accordion layer... now I think I like the version with everything sewn in place....

I had such fun admiring the beautiful samples at the CHA booth over weekend. I'm inspired to dig out my stamps, and play with some new to me cardstock, buttons and ribbon (really
aren't they a crafter's best friend?)

I'm going to try to make an effort to keep playing like this to make a dent into my ever growing paper collection, fill my card basket so that I've always got something on hand. Oh, and to justify my new stamp purchases too!

8 Comments    Post a Comment:

Barbara said...

This is such a nice set, Joanne!!!

Glad you're home safe and sound! It was SO good to meet you at CHA!!!

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

What a stunning set. Each item is wonderful, and together they are a treasure I'm sure your friend will be thrilled to have.

Christina Fischer said...

Omgosh, this set is gorgeous!!

I think I might have some new purchases calling my name -- gotta get busy! ;)

Miss you!

Maggie said...

Love this set! Nice job. *wink*

Nancy Riley said...

AMAZING gift set, Joanne! It's gorgeous!

Michelle said...

Joanne,

This is FABULOUS! Another great use of the timeless template! I love that one!

Bethany Paull said...

That paper is wildly gorgeous. And I love how you paired it with some neutal colors and simple patterns to keep it calmed down. This is such a beautiful ensemble!

patriciad said...

Really a great project. Love every single beautiful detail.

 
 

This blog has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top

Pin It button on image hover